The Center for Teaching and Learning has created two short surveys to help you get feedback from your students on their remote learning experience. You can directly import them into your courses from Canvas Commons. The surveys are by default not published, and can be customized as needed before you make them available to your students:
- Start-of-Semester Survey : This survey is intended for you to use before a semester starts, or during the first week of class. It consists of an invitation to participate and 10 questions. The survey will help you know your students and learn about their learning needs.
- Early Course Feedback Survey : This survey is intended for you to collect mid-term student feedback between week 6 and week 8 of the semester . It consists of an invitation to participate and 4 questions. The survey will help you get feedback from your students on what has worked well in the course and what adjustments they would like you to consider.
How to import the surveys into your course?
Once you log on to Canvas and navigate to Commons, search for "CTL," or "remote learning," and you will find them - you can also use this direct link. Click the survey title to preview the questions, and then click the Import/Download button to import the survey into your course.
Where to find the surveys after they are imported?
You will find the surveys in Quizzes in your course. They are by default unpublished so that you can make changes as needed to the surveys as needed and publish it when it is ready. For more details on how to do that, you may refer to these step-by-step instructions.
How to view the survey results?
Once your students have completed the survey, you may view or download the survey results by following the steps below ( Note that you won't be able to access the results until after at least one student has submitted the survey):
- Select Quizzes on the left course menu.
- Open the early feedback survey.
- You may find out how many students have completed the survey by clicking on the 3-dot Settings button (next to the Edit button). The 3rd menu item, Show Student Quiz Results, indicates the number of students who have responded to the survey so far.
- Click Survey Statistics on the upper right hand corner of the screen.
- Click Student Analysis button and the results will be downloaded as a CSV file. You may open it in Microsoft Excel to view the results.