Graduate students and postdoctoral scholars serving as instructor of record are invited to join the Fall 2021 GSI Teaching Seminar. Sponsored by the Center for Teaching and Learning, this cohort will provide support and feedback as you navigate the experience of leading your own course.
What will you do in the GSI Teaching Seminar?
- Participate in regular meetings with the CTL facilitator and other GSIs to discuss teaching challenges and strategies. The semester will begin with weekly meetings and then move to bi-weekly meetings as the semester gets underway.
- Discussions topics will include delivering effective lectures, engaging students in active learning, designing and administering formative and summative assessment, managing your time, and more.
- Provide and receive at least one classroom observation of teaching. Classroom observations help new instructors identify a variety of teaching strategies while receiving supportive feedback about their own teaching.
- Submit a final reflection paper at the end of the fall semester to earn the CTL Reflective Teacher badge.
What are the benefits of participating in the GSI Teaching Seminar?
- Teaching your own course can be a challenge. Your CTL consultant will be available to help you plan and deliver the most effective course possible.
- Connecting to a community of graduate student instructors helps to make teaching feel less isolating. Talking about your teaching with other new instructors provides space to experiment and reflect on your teaching.
Having an expert on instruction and a cohort of peers to brainstorm with and support one other made teaching for the first time far more comfortable, more rewarding, and more effective. After participating in this seminar, I feel immeasurably more prepared to teach in the future." -- Daniel Schiff, Public Policy Ph.D. candidate, Summer 2020
Note: Space is limited. Priority enrollment will be given to first-time instructors who are not participating in CTL’s Tech to Teaching program.
DEADLINE EXTENDED! Priority will be given to those who apply by Thursday, August 12 by 11:59 p.m.